Even in California it is good practice to prepare your home for winter. The idea is to be prepared and correct any small issues before they become big problems. Hopefully you find these tips to be useful as the colder weather and conditions approach our areas. We must emphasize that it is important to prepare your home for winter before conditions make it difficult. A lot of these suggestions are also meant for annual practice to help maintain great upkeep on your home. Read below for 7 tips on getting your home ready. Plus at the bottom of the post, you’ll find a link for a free checklist you can print out!
7 Quick Tips To Prepare Your Home For Winter
- We know it is one of those dreadful chores, but cleaning out all gutters and downspouts around the house is always good practice. It is better to address this early on to help reduce problems as the winter months come and it becomes an even bigger burden.
- Check your roof for cracked tiles or torn/damaged shingles. This is very important in making sure the roof over your head is ready for those rainy days! Keep in mind that if something doesn’t look right, chances are that’s the case.
- Walk the exterior of your home and look for voids in siding (cracked stucco, etc…) and caulk. Make sure that the trim around all of the windows is water-tight. Be sure to check exterior water faucets for leaks as well.
- If you have a fireplace, have it professionally cleaned and inspected for cracks/issues. Before those cold wet months come, this is a big point we make sure to emphasize!
- This is also a great time to give all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors some fresh batteries.
- Review the crawl space under your home! It is so important to verify that the conditions are dry underneath your home. Check the crawl space under all sinks, showers, and tubs for leaks.
- Verify wrench is attached to gas main and make sure that all who live in the home understand how to turn off the gas and water to the house in case of an emergency.
These are some highlights that we wanted to include in this blog post. Even though we are in California, it is still good practice to prepare your home for winter. Whether you are in Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Concord, Pleasant Hill or San Ramon, this is important!
Get The Checklist!
Here is a more itemized checklist for you to print out! Prepare Your Home For Winter
If you need help or assistance with any of the above items please feel free to contact us. We have contractors on our team who are proven and trustworthy. Enjoy a safe and trouble-free winter in your home!
Latest posts by Matt Quanstrom (see all)
- Amazing Million Dollar Homes in Walnut Creek, CA - September 5, 2017
- Things To Look For When Buying A Home In Concord, CA - August 26, 2017
- How To Find The Best Homes In Walnut Creek - August 26, 2017