Where Do I Start?
Fortunately we are in a great area for preparing to sell a home. The weather is always nice for those outdoor spruce ups, and the area as a whole is magnificent. Homes in Walnut Creek won’t necessarily need the sprucing up or repairs that homes in harsher weather climates need. Preparation in selling your home in Walnut Creek, or anywhere in Contra Costa County is still crucial.
One of the great challenges to selling a home can be showing all of its space, décor, and natural light potential. Selling your home is a very involved process, from How To Price Your Home to actually preparing it for photos and showings. We want to help you through this process! Take a look at the 7 tips below, followed by a free PDF download of our custom made checklist.
7 Tips To Prepare Your Home For Sale
There are a few things that any home seller can do that will help raise the appeal and value of their home to buyers.
1. Evaluate your closet and storage space. This is a great opportunity to go through old clothes, shoes, and other general items and get rid of anything that will no longer be used. This creates more space! Funny how the closets end up looking more organized after this process too. (We know it can be very difficult to give up that old Christmas sweater from 1987 with shoulder pads and worn holes, but its for the best! 🙂 )
2. Consider organizing shelves and other areas to make better use of storage space, including your garage and basement. Organization is key to enhance the available space!
3. Throw out or give away any old furniture that is no longer in use. Discarded items can be given to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or even sold at a yard sale. Have any furniture of yours properly cleaned before showings (if you aren’t removing and using a stager).
4. Open or replace curtains. Natural light coming in from windows offers a room more color, and makes the room feel like it has more space. Maximizing natural light is a huge draw for many home buyers! It really adds to the overall feel and environment.
5. Maximize the potential of existing décor; wash old curtains, re-stain old wood casings, anything that refreshes and emphasizes all the potential of the space and décor of the home.
6. Invite an honest friend over and gauge their reaction. See what they like what they don’t like. Let the feedback guide your final refinements. But don’t hold it against them if they don’t like it! Remember, it is going to be someone else’s eyes looking upon the home.
7. Be diligent in your efforts and be sure the changes improve the aesthetic appeal of the home. All of your hard work will be worth the reward of a successful sale.
Preparation is Key ?
While most sellers keep their homes clean and well decorated, it can be difficult to convince a buyer of a home’s potential when clutter is noticeable. Not every home buyer is going to have “the vision,” when looking at a home. As real estate agents in Walnut Creek, it is our responsibility to offer any tips that will expedite the sale and make the experience more positive for the seller.
Possible buyers are typically drawn to homes with features that they don’t already have, like clutter-free closets, open sunny rooms and cozy corners. What we do with all of our selling clients is bring in a professional stager for a consultation at our cost. The stager consultation will help you determine what to do and what not to do as you prepare your home for sale. Our team has one priority, and that is maximizing the sale of your home. This is just one aspect of our focus on that priority.
Enjoy this FREE Checklist to Prepare Your Home For Sale! (Right click and Save-As)
Latest posts by Matt Quanstrom (see all)
- The Q Difference In Selling Your Home - August 7, 2017
- Moving To Walnut Creek? 11 Reasons Why You Should! - May 24, 2017
- Walnut Creek Real Estate Market Report, January-March 2017 - April 4, 2017